Friday, August 3, 2007

A Primer Course....

Here are some pictures of the progress on Bob's bug... The first group show the condition of the car / filler just prior to cleaning everything with metal prep:



Once everything was cleaned and hung I mixed up a batch of epoxy primer. This product went on very nicely with the gun set to about 60psi with the trigger pulled. It was a bear to clean it out of the gun, however.









With a door and a half to go I ran out of the epoxy primer. It was obvious that the car needs a bit more finessing so I opted for some high build primer surfacer to cover everything. Unfortunately the vendor told me I didn't need to thin the product so my first attempts were rather futile. Even after thinning it slightly it didn't lay down smoothly, but after researching I learned that's because I have a 1.4mm tip on my gun. A 1.8 or larger is preferred for this product. Regardless, it did cover very well and it filled many imperfections. Everything needs to be sanded now, then another coat (with a larger tip!) and more sanding, then it's time for colour...


Here's a hint of things to come.....