Thursday, January 6, 2011

Boler #3

This is the third, and possibly final Boler restoration I have undertaken. I found this one near Hamilton and made the purchase on spec, hoping to finish this one in a similar fashion to Boler #1 and make a sizeable profit.
This unit was in very good physical shape and needed the least amount of body prep and repair. I went through it in m usual fashion, as you can see in the photos, making all new doors again from MDF, routered with a large roundover bit, as well as a new table. The floors are laminate and the interior is fully painted again in gloss.
I had some of the L63H paint leftover, so I decided to use it again for this unit. I bought a better spray gun and got by far the best quality paint job this time than any of my previous work. I successfully laid the green down in three nice coats with no runs or dry spots.
I invested again in a TV for this one and had the cushions sewn again by my multi-talented friend Sara.
I listed this one with high hopes at the start of the camping season, hoping for a similar amount of interest as the first.
What I received was a whole lot of NOTHING. Very little interest and a number of failed promises to come and look.
In the end I reduced my price to less than either of the first two and let it go to a very nice local family. It was still a profitable venture, but after the heartache of selling this one for so much less I am hesitant to get into another.
I suppose I will have to wait to see what the future brings.

Boler #2

After the unexpected success of Boler #1, one of the prospective buyers was very dissapointed they didn't get it. We came to an agreement if I were to find another project trailer, that I should call. Well, one of my friends was working in Sarnia and came across the Boler you see above. A deal was struck and I made the trip to pick it up.
I finished this Boler to the customer's requirements and ultimately got it out the door just before Christmas, 2009.
As you can see it was much more complete than the first one, but still needed its share of work.
This time I got wise and had another good friend do the sewing work. Her work is amazing and it made my life much easier.
Though not as lucrative as Boler #1 (which was done on a shoestring budget), I felt in the end I covered my time and materials for this unit and was happy with the transaction.