Thursday, October 23, 2008

Adrian's Bus - The Final Post

As seems to be my habit, the pictures dried up towards the end of this project. The weather got cold and wet here, and Adrian didn't need the bus in such a hurry, so I got a bit of a welcome break from working on it. I needed one after doing the full braking system.

Over the past week or so I got underneath again and spent some time connecting the heat risers, heat flappers, accordian tubes, etc. I wired the heat flappers open, then fabricated a metal duct from rear to front, with flexible tubing from the duct to what was left of the steel heat tube into the cab.

While underneath I noticed the shift coupler was broken and swivelling. The pictures below show the loose coupler and the finished coupler after my welding of it. This was a last minute and much needed job.

Also from underneath I cleaned up a lot of the wiring issues.

From the topside I installed the foam engine seal and straightened out the wiring in the engine compartment. I then went to work on the wiring up in the cab, which was in terrible shape. In the end I pulled the dash pod to access the wiring and found some creative work by previous owners, including a 1' long extension to all the wires connecting the ignition switch and pod. It was made poorly and was shorting out, which solved the problem of the engine not starting with the key. I then removed countless other wires (old non-working tach, numerous aftermarket lights, radio, speakers, etc., etc., etc..). I had almost everything working when I noticed some smoke from the headlight switch, which was toast. I luckily had a replacement I was able to install. When I was ready to put all the switches back in the dash, the signals no longer worked! I hadn't remembered the rain, but after pulling the fuse box and flasher I found the flasher full of water. It wasn't too far gone, though, so I was able to dry it out and salvage it the night before it was to be picked up.

In the end I did a considerable amount to this bus:

-full ignition tune-up including plugs, wires, coil, points, condenser, rotor, cap, etc.
-hookup of vacuum advance
-battery installation
-foam seal installation
-removal and installation of new heater boxes, exhaust, tailpipe, etc
-installation of heat risers, flappers, & modification and hookup of accordian tubes
-fabrication of new heat ducts & installation
-removal of unsafe gas heater
-front wheel bearings
-rotors, calipers, pads, shoes, wheel cylinder, master cylinder, soft lines, hard lines, etc
-review and repair of wiring
-mounting of new tire
-shift coupler repair
-fuel lines, filter, etc
-probably more I don't remember

Adrian and his dad picked up the bus yesterday and along with paying me gave me a great gift of high-end chocolates which I have now mostly eaten myself. Apparently they had a trouble-free drive home. Hopefully we'll see them next year with Adrian's '72 and his dad's '73.

All welded up.

All welded up.

Clamped in place.

The loose coupler.

Bye-Bye bus.