Thursday, October 23, 2008

Oval Update...

During the Adrian's Bus posts, I had another little project on my hands... As some of you know I have a '56 Oval Window Beetle in my garage, awaiting a full resto. It has its good points (few) and bad points (many). I always keep my eye open for deals, and found a '57 Oval in Cantley, QC for $1000. From the pictures I had high hopes and got my Dad to come with me (in his car) to QC to pick it up. Special thanks to Dave Whittick for the loan of his awesome trailer...

As was predictable, the car wasn't nearly as nice as I had hoped. I could tell it had a great 4-tab hood, a great W decklid, and a workable 4 finger front clip, which is really justification enough for the price. In the end I decided the shell of the car was in worse shape than the '56 I have (specifically in the rear underseat area and rear clip). I decided to take the '57 apart and keep the good parts for my '56 while selling the duplicates from my '56 and anything not needed in the '57.

I've already made my money back. The shell is gone, and I kept the doors, fenders, front clip, rear clip (it's rough, good for the "H" only), luggage area behind the gas tank, the gas tank, the hood, the decklid, and all sorts of trinkets. It even had a perfect gas heater! Oh, and the siezed engine was easily freed up and it seems very nice!

Anyway, here are pictures for posterity. The next step is to strip some of the parts and work on them, and start integrating them into my '56 which I want to work on all winter long...