Thursday, January 6, 2011

Boler #3

This is the third, and possibly final Boler restoration I have undertaken. I found this one near Hamilton and made the purchase on spec, hoping to finish this one in a similar fashion to Boler #1 and make a sizeable profit.
This unit was in very good physical shape and needed the least amount of body prep and repair. I went through it in m usual fashion, as you can see in the photos, making all new doors again from MDF, routered with a large roundover bit, as well as a new table. The floors are laminate and the interior is fully painted again in gloss.
I had some of the L63H paint leftover, so I decided to use it again for this unit. I bought a better spray gun and got by far the best quality paint job this time than any of my previous work. I successfully laid the green down in three nice coats with no runs or dry spots.
I invested again in a TV for this one and had the cushions sewn again by my multi-talented friend Sara.
I listed this one with high hopes at the start of the camping season, hoping for a similar amount of interest as the first.
What I received was a whole lot of NOTHING. Very little interest and a number of failed promises to come and look.
In the end I reduced my price to less than either of the first two and let it go to a very nice local family. It was still a profitable venture, but after the heartache of selling this one for so much less I am hesitant to get into another.
I suppose I will have to wait to see what the future brings.